Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Final Post-What does television teach our children

I was watching my son play the other night and he began talking about something that was on television. I wasnt anything harsh or anything but it wasnt exactly Nick toons either. Afer about 5 minutes he picked up a toy cell phone and began to act as if he was calling the police. Now we have had the police discussion and he has been told to call them and how, IF there is an emergency, however he went on to call the police and told them to pull out there guns because he dad told him no he could not have something and yelled at him. Now I didnt stop him, I just sat back and listened to what he was saying and then I stepped in and corrected him but I was baffled. I of course got in his case about the police and again explained to him what they are REALLY there for, but at the same time Ihad to think. Where would such a thought come from. And as I think back, I look at many of the programs on television and just about everything has some degree of violence in it. If he is not seeing the violence on everyday television its in the videos. Its hard because part of me feels like I have to stop him from watching any and everything on TV. Including spongebob because there were a few episodes where he was arrested as well. What is this showing our children? How do we as parents stop the children from seeing this type of activity and getting the negative images in their heads?

No comments: