Saturday, June 7, 2008

wk 1 post

I truly believe in the thought that it takes a village to raise a child. And within that village are mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles, grandparents and extended family. The term mother is one of uniqueness to me as a mom because it is a bond that no one can take away from you and that person you gave birth to. I believe that at the time of conception you are connected and are a mother. What you do after that point in terms of playing an active role is entirely up to you, however nothing takes away the fact that you gave birth to that child. Mothers instinct is said to kick in and your said to be able to care for this new person that looks to you for everything and when your seen to be doing a good job at that your termed a good mom. Now what's interesting is that for father’s day, I always give my mother a card. For being the mother and the father and with that I mean, the nurturer, the support, the strength and the stability in my life as well as my brother’s life. It’s amazing that women can jump in and play both roles but men cannot, because their gender roles don’t allow them to be soft and nurturing. Not that they don’t try, at least some of them may, but its just something that is not in the genetic make up of a man to be motherly. Or have the gentleness that one gets with the care of their mother. As far as caregiver, I always make sure I take the time out to thank the woman that cares for my son, yes its day care and she is his teacher, but there is a level of compassion that comes from a "true" caregiver that is so easy to go unnoticed. I also thank the other women in my life that are like mothers to me, and its nice because Hallmark has cards that are just for people that are like moms or those that play special parts in the lives of individuals.
May 20, 2008 7:07:00 PM PDT

No comments: