Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Week 5

How do women feel about chores like putting out the garbage or cutting the grass? Do we as women ignore these chores or feel that they dont fit into what we are "supposed" to do as women? What are the gender roles that women are to pick up, do we feel like were supposed to take care of the kids, cook, keep the house clean and that it. While men are to clean the cars, cut the grass, take out the trash and take care of the pets. Just curious if thats what we all think and if not is it roles that are not necessarily defined but taken. Do women feel they are automatically exempt from certain task because they are women, or how about working in a male dominated environment do the men in that environment treat you as you have to perform certain task while they do th eother more strenuous task because your a woman and they are a man?
I know I work in what is a male dominated field and I get treated like there are certain task that I cannot perform because I am a woman and other task I am expected to know how to do because its a "woman" job.

2 comments:

Prof.M said...

Who make the coffee in the office at work? Weird, how women empty the garbage, do most of the administrative stuff, make the coffee, plan the company parties, etc. When will it stop?

Rachel said...

Lakisha,

It is funny to actually sit back and think about this. Today, I do everything, cook, clean, take out the trash, wash the car, etc... but there are a lot of times I say, this is a man's job. It really is a humans job regardless of gender/sex because it HAS to be done! As a women, I do not feel I am exempt from anything except hating the fact that we have to squat over the toliet and the men get to stand. Really that is all I envy men for. All other things, i can do on my own!